Sunday, January 30, 2005

Pinback/Trail of Dead/The Current

Pinback - Blood's On Fire (yousendit file. Click on the link, read the directions. Link only good until February 6).

On the way home from work the other day I listened to this song the whole way home. It is brilliant. Lyrically and musically it is the song equivalent to the feeling you get while watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Heartwrenching and beautiful and you keep holding your breathe reaching out trying to help but you know it is hopeless. This song would not be out of place on a No Knife CD.

I love the end of the song:

"You're not outside. You're not inside. You're not anymore. Where did you go?
Here's to the pranks we never pulled. And never will."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart (yousendit file. link only good until February 6)

Okay, I never really listened to this band before this song. Pitchfork liked them enough to give their last full length a coveted 10.0. Is it the jangly feel or the slight British accent that is making me excited? Is it that the band slags MTV and then makes this song their single to be played on TRL? (Every reviewer seems to be quoting this line - I think they want the word cunt to be put into print for some reason: "Look at those cunts on MTV with cars and cribs and rings and shit. Is that what being a celebrity means?"). What do those animal noises mean at the end of song? Why do songs in 3/4 time sound like irish drinking tunes? Am I supposed to be sad or happy when this song ends?

Do I like it because this song makes me think? wow, what a concept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Current

This makes me wish I were back in Minneapolis. It's a good thing the internet has progressed to a point where internet radio doesn't collapse all the damn time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home