Sunday, February 06, 2005

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy - The CN Tower Belongs to the Dead (yousendit. link expires 2/12/05)

Since I'm moving to Toronto at some point I feel I should start covering some music from there. I should cover some Minneapolis rock in here too. Maybe I'll deconstruct my friends' music. Wouldn't they love that.

On to Final Fantasy. I saw them (err...him) open for The Arcade Fire a couple of weeks ago. I thought his music was good, but got old by the end of the set. I would have bought a CD after the show, but there were too many people in packed against the merch table. Anyway, the songs were cool in that the layers just built opon themselves and I really enjoyed hearing that. But after the third song, it got too predicatable.

Thank god his recorded work adds a few other bits and pieces.

The CN Tower Belongs to the Dead takes one chord progression and drops all it can into it. Layer upon layer of violin, and keyboards and vocals thrown in for good measure. The vocals are a bit timid in their approach and are a little low in the mix, but that's allright. Things get fun when he drops the 32nd notes on the violin and then layers the harmony 32nd notes on top. That's my kind of thing.

The blending of the outro is a beautiful thing too. While that droning chord progression rages on in the background, a new sweet violin harmony slinks in to lay the song down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home